Friday, October 17

Perpetual Anticipation...

Baltimore.
Boston Concert.
And an announced New York reading.

WHERE IS THE BROADWAY REVIVAL OF A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC?
It's been more than 35 years since this show premiered. It is not my favourite Sondheim (Hi Follies), but it's a fantastic one, and his biggest commercial success by far. Don't get me wrong, I like Merrily We Roll Along a lot, but why is it getting first crack at a revival?

Anyway, my dream cast for ALNM:
Desiree: Christine Ebersole (ref: Boston)
Fredrik: Victor Garber (ref: upcoming reading. And I can see him in the part)
Anne: Laura Benanti (ref: reading. And I love her)
Charlotte: Barbara Walsh (ref: Joanne in Company has a similar dry wit)
Madame Armfeldt: Angela Lansbury! (ref: she's amazing. End of story.)
Petra: Lauren Kennedy (not a major role, I know. But this woman should be better known.)
Fredrika: Kelsey Fowler from Grey Gardens, mostly because she's like the only actress of the right age I know. Though there's also the 13 kids, I guess.
Henrik, Count Malcolm, etc.: I don't know! Any ideas from y'all folk out there?

3 comments:

Kevin Daly said...

Such great taste. If you've got the $$$, there's the Roundabout gala performance (with a real orchestra!) starring Natasha Richardson and Vanessa Redgrave (inspired choices!)

Oh to be a millionaire....

I think I will see Barbara Walsh in anything.

Dorian said...

I would go in a hearbeat, if not for the difficulty posed in getting to New York. I agree that Richardson and Redgrave will no doubt be amazing, but I do love Christine Ebersole so much in -any- role, so...

Barbara Walsh is spectacular. I regret I'm not familiar with her work. I'd love to see her performance in Grey Gardens.

Sarah B. Roberts said...

Barbara Walsh was a brilliant Desire in Baltimore. I actually prefered her acting and delivery over Christine's, although I do love Christine's crystal clear voice on Send in the Clowns. I agree with most of your casting choices although I think Laura is too old now and my darling Kelsey may be too young yet. I don't know Lauren Kennedy's work at all but she but looks too old for Petra too. Damn the producers who won't revive this thing...although perhaps this $$$reading is just a way to guage the temperature for those Roundabout bastards to finally revive it. I'm holding Mr. Sondheim to his word to me of a couple of years ago that it could happen.

ON another note, I am thoroughly disgusted by Roundabout's benefit reading - how ridiculous that the "general public" tickets went on sale on the 31st, yet the tickets, read cheapest, that would be most available to the "general public" were already sold out before the sale date. Just friggin' perfect.